Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Sorry but I have to be serious

So maybe a while back I sent you an email about signing a petition for the release of Esha Momeni, an American Grad student who was arrested in Iran. Esha is a friend of My dear dear friend Sheri -you remember her from
HERE

Esha was released today (maybe yesterday? they announced it today) HERE


I usually don't sent forwards (except the recipe forward -thanks mom) but Esha could have been my friend Sheri or my other Persian Princess, Bek, & if either of those two went to prison I would have to go Iran & insist on being arrested, find them & then help them escape & then I'd be brave enough to return those white feathers. . .

No seriously, this hit so close to home I felt ill about it and there was a happy ending. For some reason oppressed women in the Middle East was a topic of conversation at my family dinner table when I was growing up. Mom doesn't read my blog but she made sure we were aware of the injustices of the world, so I thank her for that.

And thanks Mich for forwarding the CNN link!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I signed your petition... I read about her released today in the LA Times. You know though, they are making her stay there for a trial. She is not really free...She's free on bail...And her freakin' parents are quoted as saying they are mad at her for doing "illegal things."
She should be kidnapped by Navy Seal type guys (good looking ones of course)and brought home to the USA where she could be safe, but then the big wigs in Iran might just take it out on her parents. It's very sad. I'm so happy I live in America. I hope it turns out okay.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I thought it right to clarify that most likely what happened was that the Iranian government made her parents' admission of Esha's wrong-doing a condition of her release (and we all know how precarious prison is for a young woman anywhere in the world, let alone Evin Prison). This, unfortunately, is common procedure in many cases and given how desperate they were to get her out, it's no surprise that they did so. The key is that their supposed admission only appeared in the propaganda mouthpiece of the Iranian government and CNN picked up the quote from there. I just wanted to clarify because her parents have been incredibly consistent from the beginning in saying that she was innocent.

Thank you so much to all of Amber's friends that signed the petition. I have no doubt the international support Esha received helped secure her release. Hopefully the show proceedings against her will end soon so Esha can come home.

Sheri

Anonymous said...

Oh, and thank you, thank you, Amber for being so wonderful as to pass on the petition and for always caring about absolutely everybody! I love and miss you oodles! See, as someone very wise once said (on facebook)...Amber is AWESOME!