Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Guys, can we talk about my favorite holiday?

No! Not Thanksgiving/ My Birthday!
(But I do love dressing as a pilgrim.)


My OTHER favorite holiday, Halloween.

I start planning my costume at least a month before the Big Day and it usually hits in a moment of genius.

Let's review . . .

From 2002- 2005 I was either Hermione or a student from Gryffindor. I know this hints at a lack of creativity, but I was so obsessed with Harry Potter and English boarding schools, this was the only thing that made me happy. (My last year in this costume I attempted to wear it to work and realized magazines in NY are not fun like that.)
Back in 2005, Monkey was a geisha and my cousin came dressed as Me complete with a mask of my face, which I carried around most of the night. It made me feel funny. (Note: Digital cameras didn't exist in 2002 so there is no record of that year.)


In 2006 I was in love with Sofia Coppola's movie and decided to go as Marie Antoinette. This was fun to sew together because the only thing I bought was a white clown wig that I had to reshape to create a masterpiece.


In 2007 I was Frida Kahlo and again I only had to buy one thing:
the blue monkey.


In 2008 I was Hester Prynne. This was a children's costume I bought months before Halloween because it was on sale. You never know when you'll need a medieval dress for an 8-year-old. Weeks later I realized all I needed to do was wear my pilgrim hat and sew on an 'A' and Sha-Zam! Puritanical America!


In 2009 I was Karen O. Clearly. And I didn't need to buy one thing.
Impressed?


In 2010 I was the white swan to my friend Rachel's Black Swan. Rachel let me be tres bossy with her; I got to pick out her outfit and paint her face (plus I wanted to be the white swan and she let me put her in black.)


This year I was thinking of skipping Halloween altogether.


But then I remembered this:

Which led me to this:

And I ended up here:
Lydia Deetz.
Should I finally cut my bangs?

2 comments:

LaModMom said...

I own that movie! I loved it. Remember when I went through a Beetlejuice phase and spray painted all of my furniture gray spreckled granite. Eliot still has 1 piece of furniture in his office that I painted during my Beetlejuice phase. It inspired me to become the LaModMom that I am now. I like being wierd and different. Deal with it. BEETLEJUICE, BEETLEJUICE, BEETLEJUICE!

Mitch said...

Yes, please. I saw this (because I read People when I should be reading scriptures) and thought it could be an amazing costume. http://www.people.com/people/package/gallery/0,,20058392_20433627_20868989,00.html

and remember, all those hair extension places in finsbury park would gladly sell you black bangs. (or are they supposed to be brown?)